Our Favourite Recipes
Aubergine Pesto Stew with Borlotti Beans
This hearty Italian stew is all about big, rustic flavours with Sacla’ Char-Grilled Aubergine & Roasted Garlic Pesto transforming this home comfort dish into a magical mid-week meal. Serve with plenty of crusty bread and olive oil which will be certain to bring a smile to everyone’s faces.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 aubergines, cut into 3cm cubes
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 190g jar Sacla’ Char-Grilled Aubergine & Roasted Garlic Pesto
- 2 tbsp. tomato puree
- 400g can chopped tomatoes + 2 cans of water
- 2 x 400g cans borlotti beans, drained
- Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling (optional)
- Fresh Basil leaves for garnish
- ½ red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped for topping (optional)
- Heat the oil in large pan or casserole dish, add the onion, season well and cook for 2 mins until softened. Stir in the garlic and cook for a minute more then stir in the aubergine and oregano and cook for about 5 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Stir through the Char-Grilled Aubergine & Roasted Garlic Pesto (reserving some for stirring through later) tomato puree, tomatoes (and water) and borlotti beans. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 40 mins – 1 hour, with the lid ajar, stirring occasionally. Top up with a little hot water from the kettle if it starts to dry out at all.
- Taste and season as needed. Ladle into shallow bowls for serving, then stir through the remaining Pesto, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and garnish with basil leaves and a sprinkling of chilli if using.