Our Favourite Recipes
Anna Del Conte's Broad Bean Soup
This hearty broad bean soup by Anna del Conte is like a hug in a bowl. The tangy tomato and garlic broth gets an extra kick of flavour with a swirl of creamy ricotta, mixed with Sacla' Vegan Tomato Pesto.
- 300g podded or frozen broad beans
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into rings
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 500g ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1.25 litres gluten-free vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 level tbsp ricotta mixed with an equal amount of Sacla' Vegan Tomato Pesto (for a Vegan & Dairy Free option just use the Tomato Pesto)
- If you want to peel the broad beans, cook them for 1-2 minutes in boiling water, remove and plunge them into cold water. After a couple of minutes, you will be able to break the skin with a knife (or a nail) and pop out the lovely green beans inside. Set these aside.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onion and saute until golden. Add the garlic, fry for a minute then throw in the beans and fry for 30 seconds, stirring all the time.
- Add the tomatoes and fry for a further 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Keep an eye on the pot and add a little stock if the tomatoes are getting burnt.
- Pour in all the stock, add the bay leaf, cover and cook for about 7-8 minutes until the beans are tender. Taste and add salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into individual bowls and spoon some of the ricotta-pesto mixture into the middle of each bowl. Stir and serve.