Broad Bean Soup by Anna Del Conte
- If you want to peel the broad beans, cook them for 1-2 minutes in boiling water, remove and plunge them into cold water. After a couple of minutes, you will be able to break the skin with a knife (or a nail) and pop out the lovely green beans inside. Set these aside.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onion and saute until golden. Add the garlic, fry for a minute then throw in the beans and fry for 30 seconds, stirring all the time.
- Add the tomatoes and fry for a further 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Keep an eye on the pot and add a little stock if the tomatoes are getting burnt.
- Pour in all the stock, add the bay leaf, cover and cook for about 7-8 minutes until the beans are tender. Taste and add salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into individual bowls and spoon some of the ricotta-pesto mixture into the middle of each bowl. Stir and serve.