Aubergine Pesto Parmigiana
Olive oil, for cooking
½ jar Sacla' Char-Grilled Aubergine & Roasted Garlic Pesto
125g Mozzarella cheese
Fresh basil, to garnish
Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan
2. Halve the aubergines and score the flesh with a small, sharp knife. Place the aubergine halves on a baking tray, cut-side up, and brush with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 35 minutes till tender and browned
3. Take the roast aubergine halves out of the oven and let them cool for a few minutes, then scoop out the aubergine flesh, leaving a ½ cm-thick shell in the aubergine skins. Add the roasted aubergine flesh to a mixing bowl and spoon in the aubergine pesto and the passata. Gently stir to mix. Spoon the aubergine and pesto back into the aubergine skins.
4. Drain and tear the mozzarella into small pieces. Finely grate the Parmesan. Top the aubergines with the mozzarella and Parmesan. Return to the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes till golden brown
5. Serve the roasted aubergines garnished with basil leaves. These are delicious served with a peppery green salad or a side of spaghetti tossed with marinara sauce.