Chicken Satay with Chilli Pesto Peanut Sauce
12 x 18cm bamboo skewers
400ml tin full-fat coconut milk - not light or reduced fat
1 tbsp. mild curry powder
Salt to taste
500g skinless, boneless chicken thighs, trimmed & cut into 36 pieces
180g chunky or smooth peanut butter
3 tbsp. lime juice, about 1 medium lime
1 lime, cut into 4 wedges, optional
1 tbsp. soy sauce
Few peanuts, chopped, optional
- Immerse the skewers in a jug of water to stop them burning when under the grill. Leave for at least 1 hour or longer, if you can.
- Stir the coconut milk well to combine. Measure 60ml into a bowl for the marinade and put the remaining 340ml into a small pan for the peanut sauce.
- For the marinade, whisk 2 rounded tbsp. of the Sacla’ Vegan Chilli Pesto, the curry powder and salt into the bowl of coconut milk. Mix in the chicken and leave to marinade.
- Whisk the peanut butter into the pan of 340ml of coconut milk until smooth. Add the remaining 4 rounded tbsp. Sacla’ Vegan Chilli Pesto, the lime juice, soy sauce and salt. Simmer over a very low heat for 4-5 minutes until thickened, stir occasionally until it lightly coats the back of the spoon. Don’t boil! Set aside.
- Push 3 pieces of chicken onto each skewer so they’re just touching but not tightly packed. Place, spaced apart, on a foil-lined baking tray.
- Preheat the grill with the shelf up high. Grill the chicken for 4 minutes on one side, turn over and cook for 4-5 minutes until slightly charred and no pink remains in the middle. Serve with lime wedges.
- Reheat the peanut sauce for 1-2 minutes over a low heat. Add a splash of water if too thick, tip into a bowl, scatter with peanuts and serve with the chicken.