Our Favourite Recipes
Vegan Pesto Spiced Rice
After cooking the rice, this recipe is an assembly of delicious ingredients. You can have it on the table in 15 minutes for a great speedy supper.
- 80g basmati rice
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 4-6 tbsp. Sacla’ Vegan Chilli Pesto, according to taste
- 4 tbsp. non-dairy coconut yoghurt
- 2 tbsp. mango chutney
- 2 tbsp. Bombay Mix
- A few coriander leaves, roughly chopped, optional
- Salt to taste
- Put the rice in a sieve and rinse it under running cold water, swishing it around until the water runs clear and the starch has been washed off – this ensures the grains stay separate.
- Put the rice in a pan and cover with double the volume of cold water: 240ml. Add some salt. Bring the rice to the boil. Give it a quick stir with a fork, reduce the heat to its lowest, cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes, by which time all the water will have been absorbed. Sometimes you’ll find that the liquid bubbles up and over. If so, just briefly lift the lid to stop that from happening. Add the chickpeas in the last 4 minutes to heat through.
- Remove from the heat. Using a fork, not a wooden spoon or you’ll break the rice grains, carefully stir in the Chilli Pesto, adding a splash of boiling water to loosen the rice if you need to.
- Spoon the rice and chickpea mixture into warm bowls, top with the yoghurt, then the mango chutney, and scatter over the Bombay mix and the coriander, if using.