Our Favourite Recipes
Stuffed Aubergines with Lentils, Rice and Pesto
Deceptively simple to make, this hearty stuffed aubergine dish has some serious wow factor. Use lentils, rice and a big dollop of Sacla' Roasted Pepper and Crushed Almond Pesto to bring a burst of sunny southern Italian flavour to your table.
- 100g basmati rice
- 2 aubergines, halved lengthways
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 400g can green lentils, drained and rinsed
- 190g jar Sacla’ Roasted Pepper and Crushed Almond Pesto
- Pinch chilli flakes (optional)
- Handful flat leaf parsley, finely chopped (reserve a little for garnish)
- 125g mozzarella, sliced or torn
- Handful fresh dill, chopped
- Rocket and basil leaves to serve
- Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/180ºC fan, gas mark 6. First, cook the rice in a pan, cover it with water so it sits about 5cm above, add a pinch of salt and cook with the lid ajar for about 15 mins or until the rice is cooked and the water has been absorbed. Put it to one side, with the lid on.
- Cut the flesh away from the aubergines, (chop, and reserve it) leaving a little rim around the edge. Rub the inside of the aubergines with half the olive oil and sit them in a roasting tin, then put in the oven for about 15 mins until just beginning to turn golden inside. Remove and put to one side.
- While they are in the oven, heat the remaining oil in a large heavy based pan, add the onion, season well and cook for 2 mins until soft, then add the garlic and the chopped aubergine. Cook for about 6-8 mins until the aubergine is pale golden, then stir in the lentils, rice and ¾ jar of Sacla’ Roasted Pepper & Crushed Almond Pesto. Cook for a few more minutes, stir in the parsley and chilli flakes if using, then taste and season some more if needed.
- Divide the mixture up between the aubergine shells, piling them high. Top with mozzarella and put back in the oven for about 10 mins until melted. Spoon the remaining Pesto on top, sprinkle over parsley and dill. Serve with rocket and basil leaves and a drizzle of olive oil if you wish.