Our Favourite Recipes
Piadina Flatbreads with Basil Pesto Chicken
Rachel Allen takes the humble piadina sandwich from simple to sublime with this clever recipe. The pillow-soft breads are stuffed with tender chicken, punchy rocket and a cool, creamy mayo enriched Sacla' Classic Basil Pesto.
For the Piadina:
- 250g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 65ml warm milk
- 65ml warm water
For the topping:
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- ¼ jar Sacla’ Classic Basil Pesto
- Handful of rocket leaves
- 25g Cheddar, grated
- 200g cooked chicken breast, shredded into long thin strips
- 1 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- Half a lime
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl. Add the olive oil and mix until evenly crumbled.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the warm milk and water. Mix with your hands (or with a wooden spoon) until the dough become soft, but not sticky.
- Turn the dough out onto a clean work surface and knead for 5-7 minutes until it is soft and smooth.
- Divide into 6 pieces, each about 60g in weight. Roll each piece into a ball and place the balls on a flour-dusted surface.
- Cover with a damp tea towel or cling film for 30 minutes, or they can go into the fridge overnight.
- When you’re ready to cook the piadina, heat a frying pan or grill pan over a medium-high heat. Working with one ball at a time, roll the dough into a disc approximately 12cm/4½in in diameter and about 2mm thick.
- Gently place the dough into the hot pan – no oil is needed. Cook each piadina over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side, until lightly golden but still pliable, then wrap in a clean tea towel immediately to trap the steam and prevent the piadina from getting brittle while cooling. Repeat with the remaining balls of dough.
- When you’ve cooked all of them, the fun really starts! Mix the mayonnaise with the Basil Pesto in a bowl. Place each piadina on a plate or worktop and spread half the surface with the Basil mayonnaise.
- Arrange rocket leaves on top then scatter each with grated cheese, shredded chicken and a dollop of yoghurt followed by a squeeze of lime juice. Fold in half and tuck in!