Basil Pesto Stuffed Beetroot Tortellini by @gingervegan
- First prepare the beetroot by laying a large sheet of foil or baking paper in a small baking dish.
- Top and tail the beetroots but leave the skins on. If they are large then cut them into quarters, otherwise leave them whole.
- In the centre of the foil place the coffee beans, then the beetroots on top, then sprinkle the fennel and salt over and dot the pesto around the beetroot. Finally pour over the olive oil.
- Bring the sides and ends of the foil up and fold them over so that you have a sealed package.
- Bake in the oven at 180°C/160°C fan for about 1 hour or until the beets are tender. Remove from the oven and when cool enough to handle peel the skins off and chop finely.
- To make the pasta take 50g of the beets and puree until smooth. Mix together the flour, water, salt and beetroot puree until you have a soft, smooth dough.
- Divide the dough into two pieces and roll through the pasta maker until you reach the thinnest setting. Cut large rounds out with an 11cm cookie cutter or you could cut around a teacup with a knife. Mix the remaining beetroot with the walnuts and 2 tbsp. pesto.
- Place a small spoonful of filling in the middle of each round, wet the edge of half of each circle, then fold over, making sure to press out any excess air, and seal the sides. Press the middle of the parcel with your finger and bring the two corners together and press firmly to seal.
- To make the sauce finely chop the shallots and garlic and fry in 1 tbsp. olive oil until translucent. Add the white wine and cook until it has almost disappeared. Add in the pesto and cream and heat through.
- To cook the pasta bring a large pot of water to a gentle simmer. Add the tortelloni a few at a time and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the water and serve with the creamy pesto sauce. Garnish with sprouts or basil leaves and some chopped walnuts. Enjoy!