Delia's Panettone and Zabaglione Trifle
- Place all the fruit ingredients (except the almonds) in a medium casserole. Place it over direct heat and bring to simmering point, then put a lid on top and transfer it to the oven and leave to cook slowly for 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, cut the panettone into slices about 2cm thick, then cut these down to about 4cm pieces and place them in a bowl.
- Then sprinkle the Marsala evenly over the panettone and leave it to one side so the panettone absorbs the liquid. Tip the bowl from time to time to make sure there are no pools of liquid in the bowl.
- To make the custard, whisk the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour in a medium bowl. Then place 350ml of the cream and the Marsala in a saucepan and, over a gentle heat, bring up to simmering point.
- Then, whisking the egg mixture all the time with one hand, gradually pour the hot cream back into the bowl over the egg mixture.
- Now quickly pour it all back into the saucepan, using a rubber spatula. Whisk over a medium heat until it just begins to bubble and thicken (don’t worry it won’t curdle – if it does look at all grainy, it will become smooth again when whisked off the heat).
- Leave the custard to get quite cold. Now stir 1 rounded tbsp. of the nuts into the cooled fruit and spoon it over the panettone then, spread it out evenly using the back of the spoon.
- Pour the cooled custard all over. Now whip the remaining cream, being careful not to make it too stiff, and spoon it over the custard.
- Cover and chill till needed, sprinkling over the remaining toasted nuts just before serving.