What is Italian Tapas Called?
Cicchetti, these are little dishes or snacks served in the bars and busy restaurants in and around Venice and other areas of Italy, which seem to have set quite a trend for informal grazing and sharing here in the UK.
San Carlo Cicchetti restaurants are the closest we will get to this Venetian experience with sophisticated and relaxing restaurants in London and Manchester (not to mention Qatar and Bangkok!).
They use the best ingredients and serve delicious food all day long – look out for chestnuts, pumpkin and prized white truffles at this time of year.
How to pronounce Cicchetti?
What does Italian word Cicchetti mean?
Italian Tapas, is the meaning of the word Cicchetti
Here are some common Italian tapas options:
- **Bruschetta**: Slices of toasted bread topped with diced tomatoes, garlic, basil, and olive oil.
- **Arancini**: Deep-fried rice balls filled with cheese, meat, or vegetables.
- **Calamari Fritti**: Fried calamari rings served with a dipping sauce.
- **Crostini**: Small toasts topped with various toppings like prosciutto, cheese, or roasted vegetables.
- **Polpette**: Italian meatballs served with a tomato sauce.
- **Olive Ascolane**: Green olives stuffed with meat, breaded, and deep-fried.
- **Caprese Skewers**: Skewers with cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil leaves, drizzled with balsamic glaze.
- **Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta**: Roasted Brussels sprouts with crispy pancetta.
- **Frittata**: Italian-style omelet with various ingredients like cheese, vegetables, or herbs.
- **Gnocchi**: Small potato dumplings served with various sauces, such as pesto or tomato sauce.
These small plates allow you to sample a variety of flavours and ingredients, making them a delightful way to experience Italian cuisine in a social setting.