Stuffed Tomatoes with Rice and Potatoes by Anna Del Conte
Taken from 'FreeFrom all'Italiana' by Anna Del Conte
- 6 large, ripe tomatoes
- Salt + black pepper
- A pinch of chilli flakes
- 60g uncooked Italian rice (eg Arborio, Carnaroli, Vialone Nano)
- 5 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tbsp. flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp. Sacla' Free From Tomato Pesto
- 2 large potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan
- Cut the top from each tomato and put to one side. Scoop the flesh and seeds out of the tomatoes, discarding some of the seeds. Chop the flesh into small pieces and place it with the pulp in a bowl with a pinch of salt and the chilli flakes.
- Add the rice, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, garlic, parsley and tomato Pesto. Mix thoroughly, taste, and adjust the seasoning to your liking.
- Fill the tomatoes with the mixture, and 'lid' with the tomato tops.
- Put the tomatoes in an oiled ovenproof dish
- Put the cubed potato in a bowl, spoon over 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and mix well to coat all the cubes, then arrange them around the tomatoes in the dish. Shower with the remaining oil and oregano.
- Cook for about 1.5 hours or until the potato and rice are cooked, and serve.