Peanut Butter and ‘Nduja Pesto Chicken Satay
These make a fantastic starter or main course served with rice or a salad – the marinade and dipping sauce can be made ahead so it’s all ready to go when you are!
For the chicken
- 4 chicken breasts, sliced into strips
- 400ml can coconut milk
- Lemon wedges and fresh coriander leaves to serve
For the marinade
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 295g jar Manilife Deep Roasted Peanut Butter
- 2-3 tsp Sacla’ ‘Nduja Pesto depending on how hot you like it
- 2 tsp runny honey
- Juice of 1 lime
- 100ml warm water + extra to loosen if needed
- First prepare the marinade; Heat half the oil in a large frying pan and add the onion, season with the sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and cook for 3-4 mins until softened.
- Stir through the garlic and cook for a couple more minutes. On a low heat stir through the Roasted Peanut Butter and ‘Nduja Pesto, honey and lime and 100ml of water, top up with more water if needed. When all combined remove from heat and leave to cool a little.
- Spoon out about 2 tbsp of the marinade and add to a plastic zip lock bag, along with remaining oil.
- Add the chicken strips and ensure chicken is completely covered in marinade. Seal bag and put in the fridge to marinate for at least 30 mins or leave overnight. Alternatively do this in a shallow dish and cover.
- Pour the coconut milk into the remaining marinade and simmer on a low heat until smooth, taste and season again if needed. Set aside.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge and thread onto the wooden skewers. Heat a griddle pan until it is hot, add the chicken skewers a few at a time, cook undisturbed for about 4-5 mins or until the skewers lift away from the pan easily. Then turn and cook the other side for a further few minutes or until chicken is cooked through and golden.
- Remove and continue cooking the remainder.
- Transfer to serving plates, spoon the sauce into dipping bowls to serve with the chicken. Serve with the lemon wedges and fresh coriander leaves on the side.