Sweet potato burgers with pesto mayonnaise
THESE DELICIOUS BURGERS can be made in advance and kept chilled in the fridge overnight, or frozen in batches.
- 450g sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 175g kale or spring greens, shredded
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp Sacla’ Classic Basil Pesto or Free From Basil Pesto
- Salt and pepper
- 75g mixed seeds, e.g. pumpkin, sunflower, black and white sesame
- 4 rolls or burger buns
- Sliced tomato and lettuce, to serve
For the Mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp Sacla' Mayonnaise
- 1/4 jar Sacla' Fiery Chilli Pesto
- Cook the sweet potatoes in a large pan of boiling water for about 15 minutes until tender. Drain well and set aside to cool before roughly crushing with a potato masher. Don’t worry if it’s a bit lumpy – the mash shouldn’t be too smooth. Leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, cook the kale or spring greens in boiling water for 4–5 minutes. Drain, and when they are cool enough to handle, dry with kitchen paper and chop coarsely.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a small frying pan over a medium heat and cook the spring onions and garlic until softened but not coloured. Dry on kitchen paper and add to the sweet potatoes and kale. Stir in the flour and Pesto, and season to taste.
- Divide into 4 equal portions and use your hands to shape each one into a burger. Coat with the mixed seeds, pressing down to cover them evenly all over. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm them up.
- Mix together the mayonnaise and Pesto and chill until ready to use.
- To cook the burgers, heat the remaining oil in a frying pan over a low-medium heat and cook for 3–4 minutes or until golden brown underneath. Flip them over and cook the other side. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
- Split and lightly toast the rolls. Assemble the burgers with sliced tomato and lettuce and top with the Pesto Mayonnaise.