This lasagne has a typically Mediterranean vegetable filling, layered with a rich béchamel sauce.
For the filling
- 4 red, orange or yellow peppers
- 2 medium aubergines
- 5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 5 tbsp red wine or water
- 1 jar Sacla’ Organic Vegetarian Tomato Pesto
- 3 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 12 sheets lasagne
For the topping
- 25g butter
- 25g plain flour
- Approx 450ml milk
- 3 tbsp dried white breadcrumbs
- Freshly grated cheddar for sprinkling
- Preheat the grill to very hot. Grill the whole peppers, turning from time to time, until the skins are blackened and blistered all over. This will take about 20 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, then over a bowl to catch the juices, remove the skins. Chop the flesh, discarding the seeds, and set aside with the juices.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan oven 170°C
- Meanwhile, cut the aubergines into 1cm/½in dice. Blanch in boiling water for 1 minute and drain well.
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, for about 8 minutes until soft and golden. Next, add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Pour in the wine or water and allow to bubble for 1 minute, then stir in the Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto along with the aubergine and oregano. Cover and cook over a medium heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and stir in the grilled peppers, seasoning to taste.
- Oil a baking dish, measuring about 25 × 18 × 8cm/10 × 7 × 3½in. Spread one-third of the filling in the base and then cover with a layer of pasta. Add another third of the filling and cover with pasta as before. Cover with the last of the filling and arrange the remaining pasta sheets over the top. Make sure there are no gaps on this layer.
- Melt the butter in a pan, add the flour and cook well for 30 seconds. Stir in most of the milk, and cook, stirring, until thickened. Add more milk if the sauce is too thick.
- Pour over the lasagne and spread evenly. Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and cheese, then bake for about 35–40 minutes, until bubbling and the top is lightly browned and crunchy.