Roasted Tomato Soup with Pesto Croutons
- 1kg ripe tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 large red onions, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Black pepper
- 750ml vegetable stock
- A pinch of sugar
- 3-4 slices bread
- 2 tbsp Sacla’ Classic Basil Pesto
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp mascarpone cheese, to serve
- A few Basil leaves, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Tip the tomatoes, carrots, red onion and garlic into a roasting tray, and toss with oil before seasoning.
- Roast for 45 minutes until soft and golden in places, then scrape the vegetables into a large saucepan, including all the sticky bits.
- Add the stock and heat gently over a medium heat. Simmer for 15 minutes, then puree the vegetables adding extra hot stock if needed. Season to taste with salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar.
- Whilst the soup is on the hob, tear the bread into rough bite-sized pieces and mix thoroughly with the Sacla’ Pesto, oil and salt.
- Spread onto a baking tray and cook in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until crisp and toasty. Give the tray a shake about halfway through to toast the bread evenly.
- Ladle the soup into warm bowls and top with a swirl of mascarpone, a handful of crunchy Pesto croutons and a few fresh basil leaves.