THERE IS VERY LITTLE MORE COMFORTING than a cottage pie brought straight from the oven to the table.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 450g beef mince
- 1kg Maris Piper potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 50g butter, cubed
- 2 tbsp milk
- Salt and pepper
- ¾ jar Sacla’ Sun- Dried Tomato Pesto
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 bay leaf
- 100g frozen peas
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onion, carrots and celery and cook on a medium heat until softened but not coloured. Add the garlic and mince. Turn up the heat for 4–5 minutes and sauté until the mince is browned.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling water for 20 minutes or until soft. Drain and leave in the colander for 10 minutes to dry. Tip back into the saucepan, add the butter and milk to the potatoes and mash until smooth. Add plenty of seasoning.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan oven 160°C
- Add the Pesto, tinned tomatoes, stock cube, bay leaf and salt and pepper to the mince mixture. Fill the tomato tin with water and add that as well. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes to reduce and thicken slightly. Add the frozen peas and remove the bay leaf.
- Pour the mince mixture into an ovenproof dish and top with the mash. Use a fork to rough up the top to help it colour. Bake in the oven for 20–25 minutes or until piping hot and golden. Serve immediately.