Penne with salmon, peas and chilli pesto by Rachel Allen
My family all love chilli and so this recipe, using Sacla’ Fiery Chilli Pesto, is a real crowd pleaser. I like to use wholewheat pasta for that extra bit of nourishment and some chilli flakes for an extra bit of heat.
- 400g/14oz wholewheat penne pasta
- 15g/½oz butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 150g/5oz salmon, filleted and skinned
- Salt and pepper
- 200ml/7floz double cream
- ¼ jar Sacla’ Fiery Chilli Pesto
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 150g/5oz frozen peas
- A good squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- Chilli flakes to taste
- Bring a large pan of water to a rolling boil. Add the pasta, return to the boil and cook for 8-10 minutes or until cooked to your liking. Drain the pasta but reserve 150ml/5floz of the cooking water to add to the pasta sauce if it becomes too thick.
- While the pasta is cooking, warm up a frying pan on a medium to high heat. Add the butter and the olive oil, and when the butter is foaming place the salmon in the pan. Season with salt and pepper and allow to cook for 3 minutes until it is golden underneath, then turn over, and cook until golden on the other side. Remove from pan.
- In the same pan, add the cream, Pesto and Dijon mustard and season with a little salt and pepper. Warm through, flake in the salmon and add the frozen peas. Cook for a minute until the peas are defrosted and hot. Taking care not to break up the salmon too much. Season with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Combine the pasta and sauce over medium heat and stir gently, adding some pasta cooking water if it needs loosening. Serve, garnished with chopped parsley and chilli flakes.
- Make it yours - experiment with other Pesto flavours, coriander is a real winner!