Sacla’ Pesto Cake
While this Pesto does contain flour, it uses Free From Basil Pesto. Using Classic Basil Pesto will give the cake a salty note because of the Parmesan.
- 100g basil, stems removed
- 120ml extra virgin olive oil
- 225g golden caster sugar
- 2 lemons, finely grated zest
- 185g natural yoghurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 75g Sacla' Free From Basil Pesto (Classic Basil Pesto will make the cake too salty - use Free From Basil pesto where possible)
- 210g plain flour
- 2.5 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 225g cream cheese
- 50g butter, unsalted
- 300g icing sugar
- You will also need a 20cm non-stick loose-bottomed round cake tin, greased and base lined with parchment paper and a very fine paintbrush.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
- Whiz 50g basil and olive oil together in a food processor until well puréed.
- In a mixing bowl stir the sugar and lemon zest together.
- Add the yoghurt, lemon juice, basil-oil mixture, eggs, vanilla and the Sacla’ Pesto.
- Mix well with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Sift over the flour, baking powder and salt and mix again.
- Spoon into the cake tin where it will come to halfway up the sides and smooth the surface.
- Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 45-50 minutes or until risen and when a fine skewer comes out clean when poked in the middle.
- Remove from the oven, leave to cool for 10 minutes then remove from the tin, discard the parchment paper and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Trim the top of cake with a serrated knife if it needs levelling and turn upside down onto the rack so the base becomes the top.
- For the icing beat the icing sugar and butter together in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) on medium-slow speed until the mixture comes together and is well mixed.
- Add the cream cheese in one go and beat until it is completely incorporated.
- Turn the mixer up to medium-high speed. Continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy, at least 5 mins.
- Spoon or pipe the cream cheese frosting on top of a cold cake(s).