Lentils with Sausage and Mushrooms by Anna Del Conte
Taken from 'FreeFrom all'Italiana' by Anna Del Conte
- 350g continental or green lentils
- 2 bay leaves
- 100g unsmoked pancetta cubes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 500g Italian Luganega or other coarse-grained, gluten free pure pork sausages, skinned and cut into chunks
- 100ml red wine
- 400g can chopped plum tomatoes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 jar Sacla' Free From Wild Mushroom Risotto
- First, cook the lentils with the bay leaves and a little salt in plenty of boiling water, for about 10 minutes. Reserve a cupful or so of the liquid, then drain the lentils.
- In a large saute pan, fry the pancetta in a tablespoon of olive oil for 2 minutes. Then add the onion, celery and carrot and continue to fry until soft - about 7-8 minutes.
- Add the sausages and saute for 5 minutes, breaking them up with a fork and turning them over so that they brown on all sides.
- Pour over the wine, raise the heat and boil fast for a minute or two. Add the tomatoes and their juice, and season.
- Stir, cover the pan and simmer for 30 minutes or so. If the sauce gets too dry during the cooking, add some of the lentil liquid.
- Mix the lentils and continue cooking, covered and over low heat for some 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and season accordingly.
- While the sausage and lentils are cooking, heat the Free From Wild Mushroom Risotto sauce and mix into the lentil mixture. Cook all together for a couple of minutes, then serve.